Northwood in Worth County, Iowa — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Worth County Courthouse Cannon
War years by the
once located on the
north bank of the
Shell Rock River.
1846 • 1996
Erected 1996 by the Worth County Sesquicentennial Commission.
Location. 43° 26.666′ N, 93° 13.098′ W. Marker is in Northwood, Iowa, in Worth County. Marker is at the intersection of Central Avenue (County Road 105) and 10th Street (U.S. 65) on Central Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at the northeast corner, near the Sheriff's Office and County Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1000 Central Avenue, Northwood IA 50459, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Former Worth County Courthouse, 1880 (within shouting distance of this marker); Swensrud School (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Index Building (about 400 feet away); Amundson-Grosland Building (about 400 feet away); First National Bank (about 400 feet away); Paramount Building (about 500 feet away); Hunter Building (about 500 feet away); Anchor Building (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Northwood.
Also see . . . Iowa Civil War Monuments. "[It] has a sign that implies that it was manufactured at the Northwood Foundry; however, it was cast at the Fort Pitt Foundry in Pittsburg in 1864 while only the carriage was actually manufactured here." (Submitted on March 1, 2009.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 1, 2009, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 2,060 times since then and 197 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 1, 2009, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.