Near Luray in Page County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Mauck Meeting House
The outside of the one log walls were covered in 1851 with white weatherboards and the structure was roofed with chestnut shingles. A central heating chimney and tin roof were installed later. Heat was provided by a large six-plate stove made at the local iron furnace and inscribed D. Pennebacker – 1799.
Early Mennonite ministers were john Roads; Martin, David and Michael Kauffman; Jacob Strickler and Abraham Heiston. Early Baptist Ministers were James Ireland and John Koontz. Mauck Meeting house was used by the Baptists from 1790-1899.
Erected by Page County Heritage Association.
Location. 38° 39.514′ N, 78° 30.729′ W. Marker is near Luray, Virginia, in Page County. Marker is on Hamburg Road (County Route 766), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Luray VA 22835, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Calendine (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Reverend John Roads (Rhodes) (approx. 1.3 miles away); White House Bridge (approx. 1.3 miles away); White House (approx. 1.3 miles away); Luray Caverns (approx. 1.6 miles away); Fort Philip Long (approx. 1.7 miles away); Massanutton (approx. 1.8 miles away); Willow Grove Mill (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Luray.
Also see . . . Avenue of Armies: Civil War Sites and Stories of Luray and Page County, Virginia. (Submitted on March 20, 2009, by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia.)
1. Mauck Meeting House/Mill Creek Church
According to “Stonewall” Jackson biographer James I. “Bud” Robertson, the general halted late on May 22 at “a church to the east of White House Bridge.” It is probable that Mauck Meeting house in Hamburg is that church.
Once here, Jackson learned that Gen. Richard S. Ewell with his two Confederate brigades, was just a few miles ahead. According to Robertson, “Jackson prayed long and hard that night.” Realizing that he held the upper hand in strength against a foe less than a days’ march to the north, “he sought to curb the excitement with expressions of faith.”
From pp. 61-62, Avenue of Armies: Civil War Sites and Stories of Luray and Page County, Virginia, by Robert H. Moore, II
— Submitted March 4, 2009, by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 4, 2009, by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,015 times since then and 120 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 4, 2009, by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.