Rock Hill in York County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
First Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church / Dr. Arthur Small Rogers
Dr. Arthur Small Rogers
Erected 1996 by the Congretion of First Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church. (Marker Number 46-26.)
Location. 34° 55.583′ N, 81° 1.445′ W. Marker is in Rock Hill, South Carolina, in York County. Marker is at the intersection of South Oakland Avenue and East White Street (South Carolina Highway 245 Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 East White Street, Rock Hill SC 29732, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Episcopal Church of Our Saviour (within shouting distance of this marker); White Home (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Upper Land's Ford Road (about 600 feet away); The "3C's" Railroad (about 600 feet away); Water Trough (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named The White Home (about 600 feet away); East Town Neighborhood (about 600 feet away); U.S. Post Office and Courthouse / Citizen's Building (about 700 feet away); First Presbyterian Church / Church Leaders (approx. 0.2 miles away); Village of Rock Hill / City of Rock Hill (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rock Hill.
More about this marker. The First Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church is located in the Rock Hill Downtown Historic District.
Also see . . .
1. History of First Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church of Rock Hill. History of the church and Dr. Roger's contributions. (Submitted on March 10, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina.)
2. Charles Christian Hook
"Hook's resume would not suggest that he would be a leading figure (architectural or otherwise). The son of German immigrants, Hook was born in Wheeling, West Virginia in 1870. He was educated at Washington University, probably not a place that would afford him access to the power elite of North Carolina. Upon his graduation in 1890, the man known as "the father of Charlotte schools", Dr. Alexander Graham, brought Hook to Charlotte to teach mechanical drawing. This route from Washington University directly to Charlotte would not appear to have provided Hook with any formal architectural training or apprenticeship. After two years as a teacher, Hook began his career as Charlotte's first full-time professional architect in 1892." (Submitted on March 10, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina.)
3. Rock Hill Downtown Historic District. The Rock Hill Downtown Historic District contains twelve contributing buildings that are of importance to the growth and development of the City of Rock Hill. (Submitted on January 17, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. First Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church,
This congregation, organized in 1895, built the sanctuary in 1897-98. In 1911, the sanctuary was enlarged with a rear gable addition. The educational building was built in 1929, with a connection hallway to the sanctuary. Later additions include the Scout Hut (1953) was an addition to the educational building (1964). The vestibules in the sanctuary building were enclosed in the 1950s, and plexiglass protective window covers were placed on the stained glass windows in 1981. The sanctuary was designed by C.C. Hook of Charlotte, a well-known architect in the region, and the educational building was designed by A.D. Gilchrist of Rock Hill. The sanctuary facade features a dominate bell tower at left front with a smaller tower at the right front and a polygonal projecting wing in the center. The large tower to the left has a spire with a finial, paneled brick corner buttresses, square recessed panels above and below rounded arched openings, and tall paired traceried windows with granite lintels and sills. The small tower to the right has a simple hip knob. The arched entrance doors under each tower and the arched windows have keystones and endblocks of granite. There are matching rose windows with triple windows beneath in the front-facing gable and each side gable. The slate roof is original. The 1911 addition enlarged the auditorium, added an organ and
— Submitted January 17, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 5, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,251 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 5, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. 6. submitted on March 6, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. 7. submitted on January 17, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 8, 9. submitted on March 6, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.