Lawrenceville in Gwinnett County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Home of Major William E. Simmons
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 57.445′ N, 83° 59.302′ W. Marker is in Lawrenceville, Georgia Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lawrenceville GA 30045, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Garrard’s Cavalry Raid (within shouting distance of this marker); Button Gwinnett (within shouting distance of this marker); Gwinnett County (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Confederate Veterans of Gwinnett County, Georgia (about 300 feet away); Birthplace of Bill Arp (about 300 feet away); In Tribute to Ezzard Charles (about 300 feet away); Memorial to the Fallen of 1836 (about 300 feet away); Watering Trough 1873 (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lawrenceville.
More about this marker. The marker stands at the Northeast corner of the square where the Old Gwinnett County Courthouse is located, The Simmons family was one of the four original grantees of lots around the courthouse square. The four were required to erect and maintain a fence around the courthouse lot.
The marker appears to be an official Georgia Historical Marker; in fact it was privately cast and erected, without approval from state agencies.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 12, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,664 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 12, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.