Norcross in Gwinnett County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Historic Baptist Church
Inscription. On May 17, 1872, seventeen people convened in the Community House on Church Street or “Holy Row,” now called Sunset Drive, in the fledgling town of Norcross. During the meeting, this inspired group organized The Baptist Church of Christ in Norcross, renamed First Baptist Church of Norcross in 1954. John J. Thrasher, Norcross’ founder, was among the founding members of this church.
For several years, this church held services in the Community House, which was also used by the Methodists and Presbyterians until each denomination built its own local church. In 1880, the Baptist church members began plans for a building and appointed a building committee, all of whom were women. Four additional women were selected in 1882 as the fund-raising committee. Once the committee had raised $1000, work began on the church building at this location. Although the exact completion date of the church is unknown, an 1884 penny found in the church’s cornerstone has provided a clue to the year of completion. Several improvements were made to this building over the years, such as the installation of electric lights in 1908. Additions to the original church building are indicative of the church’s growing congregation, as three times it was expanded to include additional Sunday School classrooms, with the last addition being a brick building erected in 1957. In the early 1960s, the church’s continued growth necessitated a move to a larger facility. For over 80 years this church served the members of First Baptist Church of Norcross, but on September 29, 1963, the congregation heard its last service in this building. First Baptist Church of Norcross moved to North Peachtree Street in October 1963.
By David Seibert, July 14, 2007
1. Historic Baptist Church Marker
Erected by City of Norcross, Gwinnett County, Georgia.
Location. 33° 56.585′ N, 84° 12.889′ W. Marker is in Norcross, Georgia, in Gwinnett County. Marker is at the intersection of West Peachtree Street and Park Drive NW, on the right when traveling south on West Peachtree Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Norcross GA 30071, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Brunswick Hotel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Thrasher Park (about 400 feet away); National Register of Historic Places – City of Norcross (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Norcross Presbyterian Church Circa 1899 (approx. 0.2 miles away); "Holy Row" (approx. 0.2 miles away); Garrard's Cavalry at Buchanan's (approx. 3.1 miles away); State R.R. Survey (approx. 3.9 miles away); Logan’s 15th Corps & Garrard’s Cavalry (approx. 4.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Norcross.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 12, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 696 times since then and 28 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on March 12, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.