Pawleys Island in Georgetown County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
All Saints Parish (1767) / All Saints, Waccamaw
The parish church of All Saints Parish, Waccamaw, has stood on this site since 1737. A brick Greek Revival sanctuary built in 1843 burned in 1915 and was replaced in 1917 by a church replicating that design on a smaller scale and which was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1991. The present sanctuary was built in 1988.
Erected 2001 by the Pee Dee Chapter, National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century. (Marker Number 22-54.)
Location. 33° 28.044′ N, 79° 8.367′ W. Marker is in Pawleys Island, South Carolina, in Georgetown County. Marker is on Kings River Road (Local Route 22-255) north of Waverly Road (Local Route 22-449), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pawleys Island SC 29585, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured Pawley’s Island / Waccamaw Neck (approx. 2.6 miles away); R.F.W. Allston Causeway (approx. 3.1 miles away); R. F. W. Allston House (approx. 3.3 miles away); Joseph & Theodosia Burr Alston (approx. 3.4 miles away); P. C. J. Weston House / Pelican Inn (approx. 3.4 miles away); Ward House — Liberty Lodge (approx. 3.4 miles away); All Saints Summer Parsonage / The Rectory (approx. 3.5 miles away); All Saints Academy Summer House (approx. 3.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pawleys Island.
Also see . . . All Saints History. “All Saints Parish, Waccamaw was established by the Colonial Assembly of South Carolina in 1767. George Pawley and William Poole purchased 50 acres of land from Percival Pawley in 1745 to be used for the building of a Parish of the Church of England. The name Waccamaw comes from a local tribe of Indians who inhabitated the area prior to 1730; their arrowheads and jewelry were found along the Waccamaw River and are on display in local museums.” (Submitted on March 14, 2009.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 14, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,107 times since then and 89 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 14, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.