Niles in Berrien County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
John and Horace Dodge / The Dodge Brothers
The Dodge Brothers. John and Horace Dodge moved to Detroit with their family in 1886. Already experienced machinists, they worked for several shops in Detroit and Windsor Canada, until 1901 when they began producing automobile parts. Their first major order came from Ransom Olds of the Olds Motors Company, who ordered three thousand transmissions. In 1903, the Dodge Brothers contracted with Henry Ford for 650 chassis and acquired fifty shares of Ford stock,
Erected 1996 by Michigan Historical Division, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number S0655.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 41° 50.648′ N, 86° 15.029′ W. Marker is in Niles, Michigan, in Berrien County. Marker is on North Fifth Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1724 N. 5th St, Niles MI 49120, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Michigan Central Railroad Depot / Michigan Central Railroad Company (approx. half a mile away); Michigan Central Railroad Niles Depot (approx. half a mile away); Niles - A Transportation Center (approx. ¾ mile away); Ferry Street School Second Baptist Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Chapin House / Henry Austin Chapin (approx. one mile away); U.S.S. Maine Memorial (approx. one mile away); Four Flags Hotel (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Niles.
Categories. • 20th Century • Notable Persons • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 15, 2007, by M. Bowyer of Indianapolis, Indiana. This page has been viewed 4,039 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 15, 2007, by M. Bowyer of Indianapolis, Indiana. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.