Smyrna in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Smyrna’s First Mayor
John C. Moore
—Aug. 16, 1830 - May 10, 1897 —
Ulysses S. Grant was President of the U.S., and the South was still suffering from the effects of abusive Reconstruction when Smyrna was first incorporated August 23, 1872. One theory is that in the post-war era, citizens feared the town would be named for Neal Dow, a Yankee abolitionist, for whom the railroad station was named. They preferred instead to name it Smyrna after the religious
campground which had been established here in the 1830’s. Incorporating legislation named John C. Moore Mayor (Intendent). Four aldermen were also named: E.D.L. Mobley, W.R. Bell, W.L. Davenport, and G.P. Daniel. The town was incorporated a second time in 1897 reducing the city limits from 1 mile to 1/2 mile but most early records were destroyed in a city hall fire in the 1920’s.
Erected by The Smyrna Cemetery Association.
Location. 33° 53.007′ N, 84° 30.898′ W. Marker is in Smyrna, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is on Memorial Place 0 miles south of Atlanta Road SE (Georgia Route 3), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located in the Smyrna Memorial Cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: Smyrna GA 30080, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least Mazie Whitfield Nelson ( here, next to this marker); First Marked Burial ( a few steps from this marker); Smyrna Memorial Cemetery ( within shouting distance of this marker); Battle of Smyrna ( about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hood's Corps at Battle of Ruff's Mill ( approx. 1.8 miles away); The Alexander Eaton House: Hood’s H'dq'rs. ( approx. 1.8 miles away); 23D Army Corps to Soap Creek (was approx. 2.1 miles away but has been reported missing. ); The Hargrove House ( approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Smyrna.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 15, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 995 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 15, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?