Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Gaithersburg in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Summit Hall Farm

 
 
Summit Hall Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 7, 2007
1. Summit Hall Farm Marker
Inscription. Summit Hall, a 251-acre ridge-top farm in the heart of Gaithersburg, was officially named and patented in 1857 by John T. and Sarah DeSellum. The topography and 500-foot elevation with its panoramic view has attracted settlers since colonial times and probably inspired the name. Today the property encompasses 57 acres of traditional rolling green lawns, reflective ponds, swimming pool, miniature golf course, and activities building. The historic resources include a two-story part-log house which may date back to the colonial Logtown era, an 1860s tenant house, a 19th century family cemetery and grainary, and a log smokehouse believed to be the oldest standing structure in Gaithersburg.

The history of the property dates back more than two centuries beginning as part of a large tobacco plantation in the 1750s, as the small community known as Logtown in the 1770s, as the prosperous farm occupied by the Confederate Army briefly in 1864, and as a model of scientific farming, astronomy, and agronomy in the 20th century.

The first local owner was Baltus Fulks, a shoemaker, who owned lots in Logtown in the early 1770s. By 1828, his daughter and son-in-law Cathrine and James DeSellum had purchased Fulks' lots and amassed additional lands to total 242 acres. Their children John T. and Sarah DeSellum inherited the farm in 1847 and
Summit Hall Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 7, 2007
2. Summit Hall Farm Marker
Located at the edge of the parking lot, overlooking the picnic pavilions.
experienced the Civil War plundering of Jubal Early's Confederate Troops. John DeSellum also parceled off property for a schoolhouse, the Ascension Church, and the Gaithersburg Latitude Observatory. The Fulks/DeSellum family ownership of Summit Hall continued when Ignatius T. Fulks purchased the property in 1886. Summit Hall was sold to Frank and Zoe Wilmot in 1936. During the Wilmot's ownership, their son William created one of the first commercial turf farms in the United States at Summit Hall. The City of Gaithersburg purchased this 57-acre historic farm in 1982 and established Summit Hall Farm Park which is the crown jewel of the City of Gaithersburg park system.
 
Location. 39° 7.984′ N, 77° 11.592′ W. Marker is in Gaithersburg, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker can be reached from South Frederick Ave (Maryland Route 355). Touch for map. It is inside the Bohrer Park at Summit Hall Farm. Marker is at or near this postal address: 506 S Frederick Ave, Gaithersburg MD 20877, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Summit Hall Farm Smokehouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Gaithersburg (within shouting distance of this marker); DeSellum Family Cemetery (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct
Summit Hall Farm Buildings image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 7, 2007
3. Summit Hall Farm Buildings
line); The Meridian Mark Pier and Geodetic Survey Monuments (approx. 0.4 miles away); History and Purpose of the Gaithersburg Latitude Observatory (approx. 0.4 miles away); General Edward Braddock (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Observatory (approx. 0.4 miles away); Night at the Gaithersburg Latitude Observatory (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gaithersburg.
 
Categories. AgricultureNotable BuildingsSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil
 
Present House at Summit Hall Farm Park image. Click for full size.
By Patricia Lawrence, May 18, 2009
4. Present House at Summit Hall Farm Park
**This house and the immediate outbuildings are private and not available for visitation, but can be viewed from the public areas of the park** This is the house described in the marker that started as a log cabin. The original log home was expanded over the years. After the Civil War, it was enlarged into the Victorian style, then later modernized to the house we see today. A historic photo of this house and the smokehouse behind it can be found on a local history site at http://shauncurtis.com/photos6.html
Summit Hall Farm Smoke House image. Click for full size.
By Patricia Lawrence, May 18, 2009
5. Summit Hall Farm Smoke House
This smoke house is believed to be the oldest complete standing structure in the city of Gaithersburg. It stands behind the main house nestled among garden plantings. ** not open to the public **
Summit Hall Farm - Tenant House image. Click for full size.
By Patricia Lawrence, May 18, 2009
6. Summit Hall Farm - Tenant House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 15, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,400 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 15, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   4, 5, 6. submitted on May 19, 2009, by Patricia Lawrence of Gaithersburg, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement