Jekyll Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Captain Wylly Road
This road is one of the few that now bear names given by the Jekyll Island Club members. What is now Beachview Drive consisted of three shell roads: Morgan (for John Pierpont Morgan); Bourne (for Frederick G. Bourne, Director of Singer Sewing Machine Company and President of Jekyll Island Club 1914-1919); Lanier (for Charles Lanier, original member of the Club, and President of Jekyll Island Club 1897-1913). He was a kinsman of Sidney Lanier poet author of "Marshes of Glynn".
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 63-29.)
Marker series. Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 31° 4.009′ N, 81° 24.291′ W. Marker is in Jekyll Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is at the intersection of Beachview Drive and Captain Wylly Road, on the right when traveling north on Beachview Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jekyll Island GA 31527, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Skeet House (approx. 1.1 miles away); Up In Smoke (approx. 1.1 miles away); Men of Means (approx. 1.1 miles away); Taking Care of Family (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Active Life (approx. 1.2 miles away); Evolution of Elegance (approx. 1.2 miles away); First Transcontinental Call (approx. 1.2 miles away); Jekyll Island Club Wharf (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jekyll Island.
Categories. • Notable Persons • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 21, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 854 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 21, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.