Rutledge in Morgan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
In the 1840s, the heirs of Hezekiah Rutledge deeded right-of-way to the Georgia Railroad. The farm came to be referred to as "Rutledge Place” by the railroad workers, which probably gave rise to referring to the town as "Rutledge." In the early years of the railroad, Rutledge served as the terminus of the line, and a turn table (or round house) was located here to turn engines back toward Augusta. As with many Georgia towns, the railroad brought development to the area, and a thriving civic and commercial center emerged.
The city of Rutledge was formally incorporated on December 13, 1871 by act of the Georgia legislature. Early religious institutions included a Baptist Church founded in 1845 and a Methodist Church in 1902. By 1915, a six-room brick school building had been constructed in Rutledge. After the Great Depression in the early 20th century, Rutledge became the site of two Civilian Conservation Corps camps created as part of the public works program initiated by President Franklin D. Roosevelt. Their task was to create Hard Labor Creek Park, north of the city, which was originally a federal recreation demonstration area. The recreational opportunities offered
Because of the individuals who take pride in this community, Rutledge is recognized as a significant part of our county history.
Erected 2007 by Morgan County Bicentennial Committee.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps marker series.
Location. 33° 37.583′ N, 83° 36.75′ W. Marker is in Rutledge, Georgia, in Morgan County. Marker is on Fairplay Street 0 miles north of West Dixie Highway, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is opposite the old Rutledge Depot, now used as the Rutledge City Hall. Marker is in this post office area: Rutledge GA 30663, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rutledge Station (within shouting distance of this marker); The March to the Sea (approx. ¼ mile away); Hard Labor Creek State Park (approx. 2.6 miles away); Dorsey (approx. 4.3 miles away); Fairplay (approx. 4.6 miles away); Brownwood-Centennial Reese (approx. 6 miles away); Hightower Trail (approx. 6½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rutledge.
More about this marker. A large postcard, with scenes of old Rutledge including the Depot, has been painted on the end wall of a building adjoining the marker site.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 18, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 898 times since then and 18 times this year. Last updated on March 23, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1. submitted on February 18, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on March 26, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 3. submitted on March 22, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.