Near Williamsburg in James City County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
An Upper-Class Neighborhood 1630s-1699
Richard Kemp, an ardent supporter of Governor Harvey, secretary to the colony, and councilman, built Virginia’s first all-brick house here in 1638-39. Walter Chiles, a merchant and burgess, purchased the “Brick house formerly Mr Secry Kemps” in 1649 and lived here with his family into the 1670s.
Instructions from King Charles I in 1639 directed Governor Francis Wyatt to build a “convenient house for the meetings of the council . . . .” This structure, called the “country house,” was used both for official business and as a residence. It stood to the east of Kemp’s house.
After 1676, lawyer William Sherwood built two houses to replace these earlier structures. Sherwood most likely lived in a fine brick house to the east. The high-status home to the west included one room with ornate plasterwork, highly unusual in 17th-century Virginia. Lord Howard of Effingham, a Virginia governor, apparently lodged here, and he and later governors regularly met here with the council until the capital moved to Williamsburg in 1699.
. . . there are twelve houses and stores built
Erected by Colonial National Historic Park.
Location. 37° 12.456′ N, 76° 46.468′ W. Marker is near Williamsburg, Virginia, in James City County. Marker can be reached from Colonial Parkway, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in the "New Towne" section of the Historic Jamestown unit of Colonial National Historic Park. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsburg VA 23185, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Diverse Jamestown Household 1620-1640 (a few steps from this marker); The Ambler House (within shouting distance of this marker); May-Hartwell Site 1660-1699 (within shouting distance of this marker); A Remarkable Collection 1670-1700 (within shouting distance of this marker); Ditch and Mound (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Oyster Shells to Mortar (about 300 feet away); Gardens and Crops (about 300 feet away); Jackson Home 1620s (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsburg.
More about this marker. The right
Also see . . .
1. An Upper-Class Neighborhood 1630s - 1699. Colonial National Historic Park from National Park Service website. (Submitted on March 26, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. Historic Jamestowne. Historic Jamestowne is the site of the first permanent English settlement in America. The site is jointly administered by APVA Preservation Virginia and the National Park Service. (Submitted on March 26, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 26, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 808 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 26, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.