New Albany in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Disposal of Land in Plain Township
Because three distinct survey methods were used to survey Plain Township lands and are still meaningful, the township can be thought of as a surveyor's museum. The township came into existence by a 1796 act of Congress in which the federal government established a Military District of Ohio to satisfy the claims of Revolutionary War veterans. The act divided the district into townships five miles square divided into four quarter-sections containing 4,000 acres each. These boundaries were surveyed in 1797 after the Battle of Fallen Timbers and the subsequent Treaty of Greenville, which forced Indian removal. Because a veteran was entitled to 100 acres, the southeast quarter of the township was surveyed into 40 hundred-acre lots. From 1801 to 1805, veterans, their heirs, and assignees, none of whom settled permanently in the township, claimed 24 lots. Abijah Holbrook, a land speculator, acquired veterans' warrants for the remaining sixteen. (Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
In 1800, Dudley Woodbridge acquired sufficient veterans' warrants and purchased the entire southwest quarter of the township from the federal government. He sold it two years later to John Huffman for 4,000 gallons of whiskey. Over the next twenty years Huffman then sold off much of that land in “metes
Erected 2003 by New Albany Plain Township Historical Society, Bob Evans Farms, New Albany Community Foundation, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 61-25.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 40° 5.337′ N, 82° 49.081′ W. Marker is in New Albany, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is on Swickard Woods Boulevard, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in parking area 100 feet SW of water park in Swickard Woods Community Park, about 600 feet NNW of intersection of Swickard Woods Blvd and Fodor Road. Marker is in this post office area: New Albany OH 43054, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. George and Christina Ealy House and Land (approx. half a mile away); The Sylvester Ranney House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Founders of New Albany (approx. 0.7 miles away); New Albany and Plain Township Veterans and First Responders Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); Wagnor Cemetery (approx. one mile away); Archibald's Mill (approx. 1.9 miles away); Smith’s Burying Ground : Pioneer Cemetery (approx. 2.4 miles away); Central College Presbyterian Church (approx. 3.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Albany.
Categories. • Government • Military • Native Americans • Natural Resources • Patriots & Patriotism • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 27, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 896 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 27, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.