Jekyll Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Boat House Site
There was no Jekyll Creek bridge (dedicated 1954), no Sidney Lanier bridge (opened 1956) in the Jekyll Island Club Era. Many Club members entrained to Brunswick on their plush private railroad cars. There they were met at the wharf by the steamer The Jekyll Island; The Hattie; The Sybil (45 foot Naphtha Launch named for Sybil Brewster); The Kitty (named for Kitty Lawrence, niece of Charles Lanier, a President of The Club). These launches were used as pleasure craft at the convenience of the Club members for fishing, excursions, and to bring supplies and mail from Brunswick.
Other members arrived by yacht at the dock or, if the craft was too large for the shallow water there, anchored in the channel and were brought to shore by smaller craft. James A. Clark was Captain of Boats and summer manager of the Jekyll Island Club for over forty years.
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 063-31.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. Touch for map. south of Stable Rd. intersection. Marker is in this post office area: Jekyll Island GA 31527, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jekyll Island Boat House Site, Shipshape for the Season (a few steps from this marker); M.E. Thompson and the Purchase of Jekyll Island (approx. 0.2 miles away); All Work and No Play (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Infirmary / Furness Cottage (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Transcontinental Call (approx. 0.4 miles away); Morgan Tennis Court (approx. 0.4 miles away); Jekyll Island Club Wharf (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Clubhouse (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jekyll Island.
Categories. • 20th Century • Landmarks • Notable Places • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 30, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 647 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 30, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 3. submitted on March 30, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 4. submitted on March 30, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.