Petersburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Battle of Petersburg
25 April 1781
—Second Line Of Defense —
Erected 2005 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number QA-25.)
Location. 37° 13.862′ N, 77° 23.859′ W. Marker is in Petersburg, Virginia. Marker is on North Madison Street 0.1 miles north of East Washington Street (U.S. 301), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. The marker is in the parking lot of the Southside Virginia Family YMCA. Marker is in this post office area: Petersburg VA 23803, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Battle of Petersburg (a few steps from this marker); East Hill Lincoln In Petersburg (approx. 0.2 miles away); Petersburg Volunteers 1812 (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Petersburg (approx. ¼ mile away); Ladies Confederate Hospital (approx. ¼ mile away); Bollingbrook Hotel (approx. 0.3 miles away); Courthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Petersburg.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . . Battle of Blanford, also called the Battle of Petersburg. “The second line, which was to form the main line of defense after the first one fell back, consisted of Ralph Faulkner’s regiment on the left, and John Slaughter’s on the right. The line extended along what is today Madison Street in Petersburg, from a causeway and bridge across the Lieutenant Run, a creek separating Petersburg and Blandford. The line was positioned to maximize the exposure of British troops to gunfire as they approached.” (Submitted on April 23, 2016.)
Categories. • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 4, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 904 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 4, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.