Petersburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Until the 20th Century, the building housed the city’s administrative offices as well as a variety of courts. Many significant trials occurred here, including that of the Underground Railroad conductor Captain William Bayliss in 1858. During the Siege of Petersburg, Confederate soldiers in the trenches used the “Town Clock” as a timepiece. The sculpture of Lady Justice that surmounts the tour remained in place during the Siege and was constantly struck by Union shells. At 4:00 am on April 3, 1865, the First Michigan Sharpshooters lowered their flag from the clock tower, marking the end of the Siege of Petersburg, and effectively, the end of the Civil War. Today the building serves as Petersburg’s Circuit Court.
Location. 37° 13.847′ N, 77° 24.219′ W. Marker is in Petersburg, Virginia. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Courthouse Avenue and North Sycamore Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Petersburg VA 23803, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Corling's Corner (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old U.S. Customs House & Post Office (about 600 feet away); Lincoln In Petersburg (about 700 feet away); Petersburg Volunteers 1812 (about 800 feet away); St. Paul's Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bollingbrook Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Arts & Recreation (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Revolutionary War in Petersburg (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Petersburg.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 4, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 736 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 4, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.