Cumberland in Allegany County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Allegany County Library
Cumberland Free Public Library
Name of Cumberland Free Public Library changed to Allegany County Library July 1, 1960
1798 • First public school in Western Maryland incorporated under Act of 1798 as "Visitors of Allegany County School."
1824 • School name changed to "Trustees of Allegany County School" by act of 1824. The popular name was "The Allegany County Academy"
1849 • The present building was erected by popular subscription.
1929 • The school - 121 years old - was closed.
March 9, 1934 • Building leased in perpetuity by the County Commissioners to the Trustees of the Cumberland Free Public Library.
June 5, 1934 • The Cumberland Free Public Library then ten years old was moved from Greene Street to this building.
June 19, 1934 • The library was officially opened by his Excellency Honorable Albert C. Ritchie, Governor of Maryland
Location. 39° 39.064′ N, 78° 46.01′ W. Marker is in Cumberland, Maryland, in Allegany County. Marker is on Washington Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is near front entrance of library. Marker is in this post office area: Cumberland MD 21502, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Parade Ground of Fort Cumberland (a few steps Allegany County (a few steps from this marker); Headquarters of George Washington (a few steps from this marker); President Washington's Last Visit - 1794 (within shouting distance of this marker); Cumberland (within shouting distance of this marker); The Fort Proper (within shouting distance of this marker); Famous Personalities at Fort Cumberland (within shouting distance of this marker); Gov. Lloyd Lowndes 1845 - 1905 (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cumberland.
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 5, 2009, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 927 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 5, 2009, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.