Annapolis in Anne Arundel County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected by Historic Annapolis Foundation.
Location. 38° 58.712′ N, 76° 29.242′ W. Marker is in Annapolis, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Marker is on Pinckney Street 0 miles north of Market Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Annapolis MD 21401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Middleton Tavern ( within shouting distance of this marker); History Stone ( about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Kunte Kinte-Alex Haley Memorial ( about 300 feet away); Memorial Circle & Market House Plaza ( about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Kunte Kinte-Alex Haley Memorial ( about 300 feet away); Alfred A. Hopkins Plaza ( about 41 Cornhill Street ( about 500 feet away); Leonard A. Blackshear Walk ( about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Annapolis.
Regarding Shiplap House. From the Historic Annapolis Foundation website - Shiplap House was built about 1715, making it one of the oldest surviving buildings in Annapolis. The term "shiplap" refers to the exterior siding on the rear of the building, a technique used primarily in shipbuilding.
Edward Smith lived there and used it as his place of business and to house "strangers." He combined inn-keeping with the business of a "sawyer," cutting lumber into lengths suitable for building houses and ships. When Smith died in 1723 his wife ran the business until her death.
Taverns such as Shiplap House were an important part of the cityscape. People coming to town for the General Assembly, Provincial Court, and to buy and sell their goods, depended on taverns for a place to stay, get a bite to eat, and find out all of the current news of the day.
Shiplap House has been restored over the course of many years. It was purchased by Historic Annapolis Foundation in 1957 and later purchased by private owners who completed the interior restoration in the early 1980s. During the restoration process, early building techniques and materials were uncovered giving us insight into the skills and practices of early eighteenth-century house builders of Annapolis.
Currently, Shiplap House houses the main offices for Historic Annapolis Foundation. The first floor, where a tavern room has been recreated and a display of eighteenth century maritime trades is on exhibit, is open to the public on a limited basis.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 5, 2009, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 974 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 5, 2009, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.