Perry in Taylor County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Perry Army Air Base
The 441st and 312th Fighter Squadrons of the Third Army Air Force trained replacement pilots for combat units worldwide.
The 338th Fighter Group single engine aircraft included the Curtiss P-40 Warhawk, Republic P-47 Thunderbolt, and North American P-51 Mustang.
The first troops arrived on June 9, 1943, and last departed in early September, 1945. Approximately 120 pilots per month received their final training here before overseas duty. Their service contributed to the successful conclusion of the war and was possible through dedicated support of both civilian and military permanent party personnel.
In spite of a frequently commended safety training program, more than a score of trainees lost their lives to flying mishaps here.
William Jaques (Sgt.), an Armorer of C Flight, 441st Fighter Squadron, in a diary kept during his 27 months of service here, paid this tribute: "Remembering the young airmen who died at Perry Army Air Field, June 1943 to September 1945... they died in the air, in the gulf, in the woods, and in the swamps. Some gave too much...but we got the job done."
Erected 1998 by Taylor County Historical Society and Florida Department
Location. 30° 4.901′ N, 83° 34.021′ W. Marker is in Perry, Florida, in Taylor County. Marker is on South Perry Byron Parkway (U.S. 19), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Just outside the Forest Capital State Museum. Marker is in this post office area: Perry FL 32348, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jerkins High School (approx. 2.4 miles away); Hampton Springs Hotel (approx. 5½ miles away).
Also see . . . Perry Army Airfield. (Submitted on April 9, 2009, by Julie Szabo of Oldsmar, Florida.)
Categories. • 20th Century • Air & Space • Heroes • Military • Notable Places • Patriots & Patriotism • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 6, 2009, by Julie Szabo of Oldsmar, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,689 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 6, 2009, by Julie Szabo of Oldsmar, Florida. 4. submitted on May 16, 2014, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.