Branford in Suwannee County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Steamboating on the Suwannee
In the late 19th century, steamboats docked regularly at the old depot in Branford (originally called Rowland's Bluff) when the settlement was a major port on the Suwannee River. From here the steam powered vessels carried the region's cotton, lumber, and naval stores to market. In 1882, the depot also became the terminus for the Live Oak and Rowland's Bluff Railroad. Steamboat traffic ended on the Suwannee before 1920, but the depot continued in use as a railroad station for many years. The wrecks of the steamboats "Madison", the "City of Hawkinsville" and others that lie on the river's bottom are reminders of a vanished era. In 1982, the Branford Shrine Club purchased the depot from the S.C.L Railroad and moved it to its present site for use as a club house and community center.
Florida Heritage Site
Erected 1995 by Florida Department of State, Sandra B. Mortham, Secretary of State. (Marker Number F-365.)
Location. 29° 57.324′ N, 82° 55.691′ W. Marker is in Branford, Florida, in Suwannee County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 27 and Ivey Memorial Park Drive, on the right when traveling east on U.S. 27. Touch for map. Just over the Suwannee River bridge when heading from Grady
Categories. • 20th Century • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 22, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 6, 2009, by Julie Szabo of Oldsmar, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,287 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 6, 2009, by Julie Szabo of Oldsmar, Florida. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Pictures of the old Branford depot. • Can you help?