Charles City in Charles City County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
America’s 3rd Oldest Courthouse
The first court was established in Charles City in 1624 at Westover Plantation on the James River. All judicial proceedings were moved to this location when this courthouse was built 133 years later.
Despite changes to the original structure, some consider this building to be the most sophisticated surviving example of an arcaded courthouse. The builder employed distinctive and labor-intensive brickwork. Can you find rubbed brick at the corners, arches and window jambs? Examine the brick water table on the lower section of the walls. Can you see how the molded brick curves in opposite directions?
Rubbed brick. Water table.
Erected by Charles City Courthouse, Waste Management.
Location. 37° Touch for map. The marker is on the lawn of the old Charles City Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Charles City VA 23030, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Three Courthouse Essentials (a few steps from this marker); Shifting Ground (a few steps from this marker); Eye Witness to a Revolution (within shouting distance of this marker); Charles City C. H. (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); New Hope & Court House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Greenway (approx. 0.6 miles away); North Bend (approx. 1.2 miles away); Kittiewan and Doctor Rickman (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charles City.
More about this marker. In the center is an "Engraving from Benson J. Lossing, The Pictorial Field-Book of the Revolution 1859)."
On the upper right is a period photo of "Charles City Courthouse, June 13, 1864. Courtesy Library of Congress." Also on the upper right is a photo of the "Courthouse interior."
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 8, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,144 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 8, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.