Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Havre de Grace in Harford County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Keeper of the Light

 
 
Keeper of the Light Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, June 24, 2007
1. Keeper of the Light Marker
Inscription. Each night he left his house to climb the 27 stairs and 6 rung iron ladder to the top of the lighthouse. And he did this three times a night to refill the oil that kept the light burning and the ships safe.

This is the house of the Keeper of the Light, built in 1827, just after the Concord Point Lighthouse was built. The same man who built the lighthouse, John Donohoo, also built the house. The original plans called for a solid, simple house 34 feet by 20 feet with an attached kitchen.

All of the original house but the kitchen still stands. Though many changes have taken place since 1827. In 1884 an additional story was added to the house. At other times interior changes and the addition of outbuildings altered the original house.

In 1920, when the lighthouse became automated with electricity, the house was sold and became a private home. Later, the home was turned into a restaurant with a dance hall. In 1988, the State of Maryland purchased the house and gave it to the City of Havre de Grace. The Friends of Concord Point Lighthouse began restoring the house in 1990.

Keepers of the Light. Since 1827, when the Concord Point Lighthouse was commissioned, many different Keepers ensured that the light burned bright. The first Keeper of the Light was John O’Neill who served
Keeper's House 1827 image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, June 24, 2007
2. Keeper's House 1827
until his death in 1838. O'Neill was a town hero who fought bravely against British ships when they attacked Havre de Grace on May 3, 1813. O’Neill served as Havre de Grace town commissioner from 1829 to 1835. John O’Neill’s descendants continued to live in the lighthouse and several served as Keepers until the lighthouse became automated in 1920.
 
Location. 39° 32.447′ N, 76° 5.112′ W. Marker is in Havre de Grace, Maryland, in Harford County. Marker is at the intersection of Concord Street and Lafayette Street on Concord Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Havre de Grace MD 21078, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Concord Point Lighthouse (here, next to this marker); Havre de Grace (here, next to this marker); Dangerous Waters (here, next to this marker); The Concord Point Light Keeper’s House and Property (here, next to this marker); Hero's Reward (within shouting distance of this marker); John O'Neill (within shouting distance of this marker); Susquehanna River/Chesapeake Bay (within shouting distance of this marker); Principio Destroyed (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Havre de Grace.
 
Categories. LandmarksWaterways & Vessels
 
Concord Point Lighthouse image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, June 24, 2007
3. Concord Point Lighthouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 30, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,287 times since then and 46 times this year. Last updated on July 19, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. Photos:   1. submitted on June 30, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   2, 3. submitted on July 11, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement