Near Gettysburg in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Field Hospitals - Fifth Corps
—Army of the Potomac —
The Division Field Hospitals of the Fifth Corps were established July 2nd at the Weikert House and other houses near Little Round Top and along the Taneytown Road. During the night they were removed across Rock Creek and located as follows: 1st Division south of White Run on the Fiscel Farm. 2nd Division 100 rods south of White Run near the Clapsaddle House. 3rd Division one half mile west of Two Taverns and near the Pike. These Hospitals cared for 1400 wounded and remained in operation until August 2nd 1863.
Medical Director 5th Corps Surgeon John J. Milhau U.S. Army
1st Division Surgeon Edward Shippen U.S. Volunteers
2nd Division Assistant Surgeon Clinton Wagner U.S. Army
3rd Division Surgeon Louis W. Read U.S. Volunteers
Medical Officer in charge of the Corps Hospitals Surgeon A.M. Clark U.S. Volunteers.
Erected 1914 by Gettysburg National Military Park Commission.
Location. 39° 46.962′ N, 77° 12.12′ W. Marker is near Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker is on Golden Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located adjacent to Meadow Brook Golf Course,
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Field Hospitals - Third Corps (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Michael Trostle Farm (approx. 0.2 miles away); Field Hospitals - Sixth Corps (approx. ¼ mile away); U.S. Field Hospitals at Gettysburg (approx. 0.7 miles away); a different marker also named U.S. Field Hospitals at Gettysburg (approx. 0.8 miles away); Field Hospitals - Second Corps (approx. 0.8 miles away); Field Hospitals - First Corps (approx. 0.8 miles away); Isaac Lightner Farm (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gettysburg.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 913 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.