Dayton in Montgomery County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Newcom Tavern
A trading post inn until 1836. Quartermaster's Headquarters for the N.W. Army, 1812.
First native Daytonian, Jane Newcom, born in 1802, in the tavern.
First General Store, Oldest House in Dayton, A Link Between Past and Present
Erected 1966 by The Montgomery County Historical Society and The Dayton Foundation.
Location. 39° 45.811′ N, 84° 11.587′ W. Marker is in Dayton, Ohio, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Ohio Route 48) and Monument Avenue (Ohio Route 4), on the left when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. Monument is on wall of The Newcom Building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 255 N. Main Street, Dayton OH 45402, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Steele High School (within shouting distance of this marker); Montgomery County Civil War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Josephine and Hermene Schwarz (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Victoria Theater (about 600 feet away); Paul Laurence Dunbar (about 600 feet away); "The History of the World is the Biography of Great Men" (about 600 feet away); Charles F. Kettering (about 700 feet away); The Birth of Aviation (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dayton.
Also see . . .
1. The Newcom Tavern. (Submitted on April 2, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Newcom Tavern from Ohio Memory. (Submitted on April 2, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Entertainment • Industry & Commerce • Landmarks • Military • Notable Persons • Patriots & Patriotism • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 2, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 804 times since then. Last updated on April 14, 2009, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 2, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.