Near Conowingo in Cecil County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Bald Friar Ford & Ferry
On April 12, 1781, Lafayette moved his troops south by way of this ford, followed by Rochambeau’s Artillery and baggage detachments on September 10 of the same year.
Erected by Bald Friar Bicentennial Community.
Marker series. This marker is included in the The Washington-Rochambeau Route marker series.
Location. 39° 41.949′ N, 76° 10.442′ W. Marker is near Conowingo, Maryland, in Cecil County. Marker is at the intersection of Rock Springs Road (Route 2222) and Old Conowingo Road, on the left when traveling north on Rock Springs Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Conowingo MD 21918, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A Susquehannock Indian Fort (approx. 2.7 miles away); Conowingo (approx. 3.1 miles away); Berkley Crossroads (approx. 3.2 miles away); Lafayette at Colonel Rigbie’s House Richards Oak (approx. 3˝ miles away); The Proprietors of the Susquehanna Canal (approx. 3.8 miles away); Keziah's Diary (approx. 4.6 miles away); West Nottingham Academy (approx. 5.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Conowingo.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Native Americans • Natural Features • Roads & Vehicles • War, US Revolutionary • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 21, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,781 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 21, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.