LaFayette in Chambers County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
County government organized 1833 by Judge James Thompson of Jefferson County. First officers were: Nathaniel Greer, Sheriff; William House, Clk. Cir. Ct.; Joseph J. Williams, Clk. Co. Ct.; Booker Lawson, John Wood, William Fannin, John A. Hurst, Commissioners of Roads and Revenue. Permanent court site selected by Commissioners Thomas C. Russell, James Taylor and Capt. Baxter Taylor. A log courthouse was built here 1833, replaced by brick structure 1837 and used until present courthouse erected 1899.
LaFayette, county seat, was formerly known as Chambersville and Chambers C. H. (courthouse).
Erected 1972 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 32° 53.96′ N, 85° 24.068′ W. Marker is in LaFayette, Alabama, in Chambers County. Marker is on Lafayette Street (U.S. 431) just south of Alabama Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is on the west grounds of the county courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Lafayette AL 36862, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Chambers County War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Muscogee Indians (a few steps from this marker); The LaFayette Presbyterian Church (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); LaFayette Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Providence Baptist Church (approx. 7.9 miles away); Fort Cusseta (approx. 9.7 miles away); Lanier High School (approx. 11.8 miles away); Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid / Pat Garrett, "The Man Who Shot Billy the Kid" (approx. 12.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in LaFayette.
Categories. • Government • Native Americans • Notable Persons • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 21, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 2,280 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 21, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.