Delaware in Delaware County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Courthouse Hill / The Plum Orchard
In the early years of Delaware, this area was known as Briar Hill. It is the highest elevation in the city. Situated facing south and approximately at the center of the existing Courthouse, was the site of the first Delaware County Courthouse. Erected in 1816 at a cost of $8,000, it was a two story brick structure, 38 feet by 40 feet, of the Virginia design. Despite substantial efforts to preserve the Courthouse, over the years it deteriorated, became unsafe to use and was demolished in the spring of 1858. The cornerstone for the present Courthouse was laid in May of 1868 and the building, designed by noted architect Robert N. Jones and costing about $70,000, was ready for occupancy in January of 1870.
The Plum Orchard
During the fall of 1802, Thomas Cellar and his two sons came here from Liberty Township in search of their hogs. Later in life, the younger son wrote a description of the “Delaware plain” as it appeared six years before the founding of the city. Cellar described the location of springs, a salt lick, and the vegetation growing in the area. Stretching
On this Arbor Day, April 25, 2008, we the citizens of this city and county, dedicate this plaque and plant this plum tree in honor of the native people who inhabited this land before the arrival of the settlers.
Erected 2008 by the Kroger Company, National City Bank, and the Delaware County Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio, Delaware County Historical Society marker series.
Location. 40° 18.097′ N, 83° 4.109′ W. Marker is in Delaware, Ohio, in Delaware County. Marker is on Central Avenue (Ohio Route 37), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is on the south grounds of the county courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Delaware OH 43015, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. War Savings Stamps (within shouting distance of this marker); Delaware County World War I Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Delaware County World War II Memorial American Legion Post 115 Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Delaware County Civil War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Delaware County War on Terrorism Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); President Hayes Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old City Hall and Opera House (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Delaware.
Categories. • Horticulture & Forestry • Native Americans • Natural Features • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 24, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 865 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 24, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 4. submitted on April 26, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 5. submitted on October 6, 2015. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.