Woodside in San Mateo County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Fight – Love – Live
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in Cooperation with the National Trust for Historic Preservation and with the Filoli Center, July 21, 1980.
Erected 1980 by State Dept. of Parks and Recreation, National Trust for Historic Preservation and Filoli Center. (Marker Number 907.)
Location. 37° 28.23′ N, 122° 18.59′ W. Marker is in Woodside, California, in San Mateo County. Marker can be reached from Canada Road. Touch for map. Marker is located on the grounds of the Filoli Estate. Marker is at or near this postal address: 86 Canada Road, Redwood City CA 94062, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A Monument to Water (approx. one mile away); Town of West Union (approx. 1.1 miles away); City of San Carlos Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.6 miles away); Len Turner (approx. 2.9 miles away); Woodside Store (approx. 3.3 miles away); Ralston Hall (approx. 3.4 miles away); San Carlos Station (approx. 3.7 miles away); San Carlos Depot (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Woodside.
More about this marker. This site is a fee area, open for self-guided tours from Mid-February to late October.
This site was designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No. 907 on February 8, 1977.
Regarding Filoli. The Mansion at Filoli was used as the “Carrington Mansion” in the opening scene of the popular TV show - Dynasty
Also see . . .
1. Filoli. Located 30 miles south of San Francisco, Filoli is an historic site of the National Trust for Historic Preservation and one of the finest remaining country estates of the early 20th century. (Submitted on April 29, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
2. History of Filoli. (Submitted on April 29, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
Filoli was built for Mr. & Mrs. Bourne, whose chief source of wealth came from the Empire Mine, a hard-rock gold mine in Grass Valley, California. Mr. Bourne was also the owner and president of the Spring Valley Water Company. He chose the southern end of Crystal Springs Lake as the site for his estate. He arrived at the name of Filoli by combining the words “Fight for just cause; Love your fellow man; Live a good life”
Construction began in 1915 and the Bournes moved into the house in 1917. Both Mr. & Mrs. Bourne died in 1936 and the estate was sold to Mr. & Mrs. William P. Roth, who owned the Matson Navigation Company. Mrs. Roth lived in this house until 1975 when she donated 125 acres, along with the house and gardens to the National Trust for Historic Places. The remaining acreage was given to the Filoli Center.
— Submitted April 29, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Categories. • 20th Century • Industry & Commerce • Landmarks • Notable Buildings • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 29, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,521 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on April 29, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.