Cayce in Fulton County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
the famous locomotive engineer
John Luther Jones,
(Alias Casey Jones)
spent his boyhood days.
Casey's many record feats as locomotive engineer engrossed him deeply in the hearts of his fellow workers. On the morning of April 30th 1900, while running the Illinois Central fast mail train no.1 "the cannon ball" and by no fault of his, his engine bolted through three freight cars at Vaughn, Miss.
Casey died with his hand clenched to the break helve and his was the only life lost.
Famous for bravery and courage, the name of Casey Jones lives deeply set into the hearts of American people in both tradition and song. It can be truthfully said of him, "greater love hath no man than this that a man lay down his life for his friends."
Erected by the Admirers of Casey Jones July 9th, 1938
Erected 1938 by Admirers of Casey Jones.
Location. 36° 33.343′ N, 89° 1.945′ W. Marker is in Cayce, Kentucky, in Fulton County. Marker is at the intersection of Moscow Avenue (State Highway 94) and Jordan Lane (State Road 239), on the right when traveling west on Moscow Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fulton KY 42041, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other Confederate Bivouac (was a few steps from this marker but has been reported missing. ); Guerrilla Raids on Clinton (approx. 7.2 miles away); Hickman County Veterans Memorial (approx. 8 miles away); Clinton Seminary (approx. 8 miles away); County Named, 1821 (approx. 8 miles away); The Chapel (approx. 8.4 miles away in Tennessee); Union City Junction (approx. 8½ miles away in Tennessee); The Depot (approx. 8½ miles away in Tennessee).
Also see . . . Casey Jones. Biography and background of Casey Jones and the folklore that has grown up around him. (Submitted on April 29, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Heroes • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 29, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,349 times since then and 72 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 29, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.