Claxton in Evans County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 054-1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 9.686′ N, 81° 54.441′ W. Marker is in Claxton, Georgia, in Evans County. Marker is on W. Main St. (US 280, Ga 129 ) near Courthouse St., on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Claxton GA 30417, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dedicated to All Who Served ( a few steps from this marker); Claxton First United Methodist Church Bellville ( approx. 4 miles away); Daisy United Methodist Church ( approx. 4.1 miles away); Old Sunbury Road ( approx. 6.7 miles away); Croatan Indian Community ( approx. 9.1 miles away); Oliff, Rushing, Durrence House ( approx. 9.1 miles away); a different marker also named Old Sunbury Road ( approx. 9.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Claxton.
Also see . . . New Georgia Encyclopedia, Evans County. Almost entirely a product of the railroad age, Claxton, the seat of Evans County, was founded when the first railroad came through the area in the 1890s. (Submitted on May 1, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 1, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 779 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on April 1, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 1, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.