Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Shippensburg in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old Court House

 
 
Old Court House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Robert H. Moore, II, April 25, 2009
1. Old Court House Marker
Inscription. “Widow Piper’s Tavern,” used for Cumberland County court-sessions, 1750-1751, until a court house was erected at Carlisle, the county seat. The house is now the home of the Shippensburg Civil Club.
 
Erected 1947 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Location. 40° 3.263′ N, 77° 30.78′ W. Marker is in Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, in Cumberland County. Marker is on East King Street (U.S. 11) near Queen Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Shippensburg PA 17257, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Morris (a few steps from this marker); The Ones He Left Behind: The Widow and Children of Jacob Agle (within shouting distance of this marker); The Original Site of the German Reformed and Lutheran Congregations (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Locust Grove Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Shippensburg (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Shippensburg (approx. half a mile away); Lifeline of the Valley: The Cumberland Valley Railroad (approx. half a mile away); Rebel Headquarters in Shippensburg, June 24-27, 1863 (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Shippensburg.
 
Categories. Colonial Era
 
Old Court House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Robert H. Moore, II, April 25, 2009
2. Old Court House Marker
The sign reads "The first court house of Cumberland County. 1735-1928. Home of the Civic Club." Below it is a marker indicating the inclusion of the structure on the National Register of Historic Places.
Old Court House image. Click for full size.
By Robert H. Moore, II, April 25, 2009
3. Old Court House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 4, 2009, by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia. This page has been viewed 884 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 4, 2009, by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement