Chambersburg in Franklin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Founding Family Memorial Statue
In the early days of the settlement, Benjamin Chambers maintained good relations with the Native Americans. But, as time progressed, relations were strained as more settlers migrated to the frontier. In 1755, at the outset of twenty years of Indian Wars, Chambers constructed a highly defensible, private fort in the vicinity of this location to protect the families of the settlement. Chambers safely guided his community through the French and Indian War and Pontiac's Rebellion.
As the winds of the American Revolution stirred men to serve, Chamber's age prevented him from going on campaign, and it fell to the second and third generations of the Chamber's family to defend the cause of American freedom. Companies of defenders had to be raised to protect two fronts--the western front from attack by Indians and the eastern by the opposing British army and its mercenaries.
In June 1775, after skirmishes at Lexington and Concord, the Continental Congress authorized the formation of the first American army. Franklin County volunteers, under the leadership of Captain James Chambers, son
Dedicated October 20, 2007, this statue depicts "The Homecoming" of 1781. Town founder Benjamin Chambers welcomes his son James, a Colonel, and grandson Benjamin, a young man of seventeen, safely home to Chambers Town after six years of distinguished military service.
Wayne Hyde was born and raised near Bedford, Pennsylvania, on a farm near the Allegheny Mountains where he developed his innate talent to masterfully translate what he sees into three dimensional art. In "The Homecoming," Hyde captures the patriarch's deep feeling of thankfulness to the Almighty for the safe return of son and grandson as their countenances and gestures convey the sense of pride for all that the Chambers family has accomplished.
"Chambers Fort" by M. H. Gemmill, 1975
Pennsylvania Militia First Regiment Latin Motto: I Refuse to be Dominated.
Photo of Wayne Hyde, Sculptor.
Location. 39° 56.307′ N, 77° 39.72′ W. Marker is in Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, in Franklin County. Marker can be reached from West King Street. Touch for map. Marker is in Falling Spring Park. Marker is in this post office area: Chambersburg PA 17201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Chambers (within shouting distance of this marker); Thompson's Rifle Battalion: Capt. James Chambers' Company (within shouting distance of this marker); The John Jack Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Fort Chambers (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); This Dwight D. Eisenhower Green Ash (about 300 feet away); The Greatest Sacrifice / Prelude to Gettysburg (about 400 feet away); World War II – Korean Conflict – Vietnam Conflict (about 400 feet away); Underground Railroad Activity in Chambersburg (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chambersburg.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 23, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 2, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,818 times since then and 41 times this year. Last updated on May 4, 2009, by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 2, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.