Lake George in Warren County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Gen. Henry Knox Trail
Gen. Henry Knox
in the winter of 1775-1776
to deliver to
Gen. George Washington
the train of artillery
from Fort Ticonderoga
used to force the British
Army to evacuate Boston
The State of New York
during the sesquicentennial
of the American Revolution
Erected 1926 by State of New York. (Marker Number NY-8.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the General Henry Knox Trail marker series.
Location. 43° 22.983′ N, 73° 42.133′ W. Marker is in Lake George, New York, in Warren County. Marker is on Lake George Glens Falls Road (U.S. 9) one mile north of Farm to Market Road (County Route 149), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lake George NY 12845, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bloody Pond ( approx. half a mile away); Colonel Ephraim Williams, Jr. ( approx. half a mile away); Col. Williams Monument ( approx. 0.6 miles away); Military Road ( approx. French Mtn. Hamlet ( approx. one mile away); Fort George ( approx. 2.3 miles away); Adirondack Forest Preserve ( approx. 2.3 miles away); The 1755 Battle of Lake George ( approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lake George.
More about this marker. This is the eighth marker in the series indicating the trail Gen. Knox followed on his way to Cambridge from Fort Ticonderoga. There is a total of 56 markers along the trail, 30 in New York and 26 in Massachusetts. The New York markers were erected during 1926-1927, those in Massachusetts were erected in 1927. The Massachusetts markers have a smaller bas relief with the stone being engraved.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. These markers follow the route used by Knox to transfer cannons from Fort Ticonderoga to Cambridge, Mass.
Categories. • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 27, 2009, by John Farrell of Lake George, New York. This page has been viewed 1,234 times since then and 32 times this year. Last updated on May 5, 2009, by John Farrell of Lake George, New York. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 27, 2009, by John Farrell of Lake George, New York. 3. submitted on November 25, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.