Wilkes-Barre in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
U.S.S. Wilkes Barre
Becoming a part of Task Force 18, Third Fleet, the cruiser took part in bombardments against the enemy at French Indo–China, China, Iwo Jima, Okinawa and Japan. During the Okinawa Campaign, the U.S.S. Wilkes-Barre aided the stricken carrier U.S.S. Bunker Hill and gained credit for saving the carrier.
The U.S.S. Wilkes-Barre received word of the enemy surrender, while off Hokkaido and entered Tokyo Bay to cover the landing of American Troops.
The U.S.S. Wilkes-Barre was decommissioned on October 9, 1947.
This monument was erected in 1971 under the auspices of Mr. Oscar Weissman and the N.E. Pennsylvania Council of the Navy League of the United States.
Erected 1971 by N.E. Pennsylvania Council of the Navy League of the United States.
Location. 41° 15.061′ N, 75° 52.792′ W. Marker is in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, in Luzerne County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of River Road and West Jackson Touch for map. Located just behind the Luzerne County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Wilkes Barre PA 18702, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wyoming Division Canal ( within shouting distance of this marker); Luzerne County ( about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wilkes-Barre Fort ( approx. 0.3 miles away); William G. McGowan ( approx. 0.3 miles away); Fort Wilkes Barre 1778 ( approx. 0.4 miles away); Daniel J. Flood ( approx. 0.4 miles away); Min L. Matheson ( approx. 0.4 miles away); Wilkes-Barre ( approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilkes-Barre.
Categories. • 20th Century • War, World II • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 9, 2009, by Michael Beatty of Hanover Township, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,006 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 9, 2009, by Michael Beatty of Hanover Township, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.