Harpers Ferry in Jefferson County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church
During the Civil War, to protect the church from Union and Confederate shells, Father Costello flew the British Union Jack flag as a symbol of the church's neutrality. St. Peter's escaped the war relatively unscathed.
St. Peter's was remodeled to its present appearance in 1896, and Mass is offered here every Sunday.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal marker series.
Location. 39° 19.37′ N, 77° 43.861′ W. Marker is in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Church Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located in lower town of Harpers Ferry National Historic Site. Marker is in this post office area: Harpers Ferry WV 25425, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Welcome to St. Peterís Roman Catholic Church (here, next to this marker); Harper House (a few steps from this marker); Springhouses and Root Cellars (a few steps from this marker); Harper House Tavern (a few steps from this marker); Shenandoah Street about 1880 (within shouting distance of this marker); Sweets for Harpers Ferry (within shouting distance of this marker); Casualty of War (within shouting distance of this marker); The John Brown Raiders (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harpers Ferry.
More about this marker. The marker displays photos of the church as seen From Shenandoah Street in 1865, and Looking north from Loudoun Heights, circa 1894.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 10, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,386 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 10, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 4. submitted on December 19, 2014. 5, 6. submitted on August 22, 2010, by Paul Jordan of Burlington, N. C., U. S. A..