Harpers Ferry in Jefferson County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Casualties of Time
Buildings along the Shenandoah River proved extremely vulnerable to flooding. During the devastating 1870 flood, all houses but one on the south side of Shenandoah Street, "from the market house to the Island of Virginius," were destroyed or severely damaged.
Location. 39° 19.306′ N, 77° 43.839′ W. Marker is in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, in Jefferson County. Marker can be reached from Shenandoah Street (Business U.S. 340), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located in lower town of Harpers Ferry National Historic Site, just south of the Winchester and Potomac Railroad. Marker is in this post office area: Harpers Ferry WV 25425, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Government Factory Town No Longer (within shouting distance of this marker); Armory Workers (within shouting distance of this marker); Market House Floods (within shouting distance of this marker); Home of Samuel Annin (within shouting distance of this marker); Shenandoah Street about 1880 (within shouting distance of this marker); A Government Factory Town (within shouting distance of this marker); Armory Paymaster's Residence (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harpers Ferry.
More about this marker. In the upper portion of the marker are photos depicting the foods of 1924. On the upper left, Flood waters surround buildings on Shenandoah Street in 1924. None of the structures pictured here stand today. On the right, is a View of the Shenandoah River and original paymaster's house during the 1924 flood.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 10, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 718 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 10, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.