Tybee Island in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
1897 - 1945
National Register of
By the United States
Department of the Interior
May 25, 1982
Erected 1982 by U.S. Dept. of Interior. (Marker Number 82002393.)
Location. 32° 1.074′ N, 80° 50.805′ W. Marker is in Tybee Island, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker is at the intersection of N. Campbell Ave. and Soloman Ave., on the left when traveling east on N. Campbell Ave.. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tybee Island GA 31328, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Screven Bakery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Henry Sims Morgan (approx. 0.3 miles away); Tybee Island (approx. 0.3 miles away); Tybee Lighthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); Federal Batteries on Tybee Island (approx. 1.4 miles away); A Turning Point In History (approx. 1.4 miles away); Long Range Artillery Duel (approx. 1.4 miles away); Cockspur Island Lighthouse (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tybee Island.
Regarding Fort Screven. National Register of Historic Places:
Fort Screven Historic District *** (added 1982
♦ Tilton, Butler, Van Horn, Railroad and Alger Aves., and Pulaski Rd., Tybee Island
♦ Historic Significance: Person, Architecture/Engineering, Event
Architect, builder, or engineer: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
♦ Architectural Style: No Style Listed
♦ Historic Person: Marshall,Gen. George C.
♦ Significant Year: 1906, 1946, 1896
♦ Area of Significance: Communications, Architecture, Engineering, Military, Transportation, Exploration/Settlement, Community Planning And Development, Landscape Architecture
♦ Period of Significance: 1875-1899, 1900-1924, 1925-1949
♦ Owner: Private , Local Gov't
♦ Historic Function: Defense, Transportation
♦ Historic Sub-function: Fortification, Military Facility, Water-Related
♦ Current Function: Domestic, Transportation
♦ Current Sub-function: Single Dwelling, Water-Related
Also see . . . Fort Screven. Troops trained and stood guard on Tybee Island through the Spanish-American War of 1898, World War I, and World War II. (Submitted on May 11, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Military • Notable Buildings • Notable Places • War, Spanish-American •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 11, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,527 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 11, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.