St. Simons Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Frederica - The Barricks
London Magazine October 23, 1747
At the time of the Spanish attack in 1742, about 200 British troops were stationed at Frederica. Some of the officers and married men lived in their own homes in or near town. Others lived camp-style in clapboard or thatched huts adjacent to this site. The barracks that stood here could accommodate more than 100 men.
The building took the form of a square with rooms surrounding an open parade. Walls were made with tabby one foot thick. Soldiers entered the barracks through a gateway covered by a tower made of double thick tabby. Fortunately, three walls of this impressive tower remain standing and have been stabilized by the National Park Service.
During the 1742 Military campaign the barracks served as a hospital, and as quarters for Spanish prisoners-of-war.
Location. 31° 13.498′ N, 81° 23.496′ W. Marker is in St. Simons Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker can be reached from Frederica Drive. Touch for map. At Fort Frederick National Monument. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Simons Island GA 31522, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Frederica - Candlemaker ( about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Frederica - The Fort ( about 500 feet away); Frederica - Indian Interpreter ( about 600 feet away); A New House? ( about 600 feet away); Shoemaker and Soldier ( about 600 feet away); Tavernkeepers ( about 600 feet away); Frederica - Huts and Houses ( about 600 feet away); The Flesh Market ( about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Simons Island.
Also see . . . Fort Frederica. Starting in 1947, the National Park Service and the Fort Frederica Association sponsored a series of archeological investigations at the Frederica site. (Submitted on May 13, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Landmarks • Military • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 13, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 603 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 13, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.