Jonesboro in Clayton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 031-7.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 31.358′ N, 84° 21.241′ W. Marker is in Jonesboro, Georgia, in Clayton County. Marker is at the intersection of North McDonough Street and King Street, on the right when traveling north on North McDonough Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jonesboro GA 30236, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Heritage Place (about Battle of Jonesborough (about 400 feet away); Lee's Corps Withdrawn (about 500 feet away); The Johnson-Blalock House (about 500 feet away); Diverted Attack (approx. 0.4 miles away); Patrick Cleburne Confederate Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Two Days of Battle at Jonesboro (approx. half a mile away); Unknown Confederate Soldiers Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jonesboro.
More about this marker. The marker is located in front of the old Clayton County Courthouse. The original wooden courthouse on this site was built in 1861 and burned in 1864, during Sherman's March to the Sea. This building was built in 1869 as a replacement. It served as the Courthouse until 1898, when a new Courthouse was built. It then became a Masonic Hall, which it remains today.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 13, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,471 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 13, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.