Harlem in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
369th Infantry Regiment Memorial
—“Harlem Hellﬁghters” Monument —
During World War I, United States Armed Forces remained segregated by race. In 1913 New York established the 15th New York (Colored) Infantry Regiment, a unit of the National Guard. The U.S. Army mustered the unit into Federal service in 1917, and the 369th (Colored) Infantry Regiment went to France that December, among the first 100,000 troops of the American Expeditionary Force.
Exhibiting extraordinary valor, the 369th, an integral part of the Fourth French Army, fought on the front until the Armistice. During the Meuse-Argonne Offensive the 369th showed exceptional bravery, especially on September 29, 1918, during the liberation of Sechault, when a third of the regiment suffered casualties.
Cited for their heroism, 171 members of the regiment were decorated with the Croix de Guerre (Cross of War) and one officer [1st Lt. George Seanor Robb of Kansas] received the Medal
The 369th Historical Society and the 369th Veterans Association were supported by numerous associated organizations in the commission of this monument. The U.S. Army moved the monument from its fabricator in France to an airfield in Germany, and the New York Air National Guard then brought it to New York. With support from the City Council, Parks and Recreation redesigned and landscaped this triangle to feature the monument.
Across the street stands the 369th Armory, one of the last armories erected in New York City. It was built between 1921 and 1933 and combines both medieval and art deco influences. The building is still home to the 369th Sustainment Brigade, as well as historical exhibits, and a recreation center.
City of New York, Parks & Recreation
Michael R. Bloomberg, Mayor;
Adrian Benepe, Commissioner
[Inscriptions on the obelisk:]
161st Division (FR) [south face]
93rd Division (US) [north face]
369th Infantry Regiment (15th Reg-NYG)
26 Sep - 1 Oct.
Erected 2006 by City of New York, Parks & Recreation.
Location. 40° 49.022′ N, 73° 56.068′ W. Marker is in Harlem, New York, in New York County. Marker is at the intersection of 5th Avenue and West 142nd Street on 5th Avenue. Touch for map. The monument and marker are in the triangular island on the southeast side of the intersection, diagonally across from the 369th Armory which is at 2366 Fifth Avenue. Marker is in this post office area: New York NY 10037, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Savoy Ballroom (approx. 0.2 miles away); Alexander Hamilton's House (approx. ¼ mile away); Scott Joplin (approx. 0.6 miles away); Hamilton Grange (approx. 0.7 miles away); "Pete" Sheehy (approx. ¾ mile away); Pope Benedict XVI Mass (approx. 0.8 miles away); To the memory of Jacob Ruppert (approx. 0.8 miles away); Allie Pierce Reynolds (approx. 0.8 miles away).
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Another Harlem Hell Fighters marker in Spartanburg, SC.
Also see . . .
1. 369th Infantry Regiment (U.S.). (Submitted on May 16, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. Col. William Haywood. (Submitted on May 16, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
3. Lieutenant Europe and the Hellfighters' Band. (Submitted on May 16, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
4. "The Soldier's Burden" - Sgt. Henry Johnson. (Submitted on May 17, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
5. 1st Lt. George S. Robb. (Submitted on May 17, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
6. 93rd Infantry Division - WWI. (Submitted on May 17, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. Hell Fighters; 93rd Infantry Division; Blue Helmet Division; William Hayward; George S. Robb; James Reese Europe; Hamilton Fish, III; Needham Roberts; AEF.
Categories. • 20th Century • African Americans • Heroes • Military • Notable Buildings • Patriots & Patriotism • War, World I •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 15, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 5,804 times since then and 197 times this year. This page was the Marker of the Week July 12, 2009. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 15, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 17, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.