Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Natchez in Adams County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

The First Presbyterian Church

 
 
The First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., circa July 2004
1. The First Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription. Congregation organized in 1817. The Sanctuary was built in 1828-29 and enlarged in 1851. The Romanesque Revival rear addition was built in 1900 in honor of Joseph Stratton, Pastor, 1843-1903. The church and its companion manse on South Rankin Street are two of the finest Federal style buildings in Mississippi.
 
Erected 1990 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program marker series.
 
Location. 31° 33.544′ N, 91° 24.231′ W. Marker is in Natchez, Mississippi, in Adams County. Marker is at the intersection of State Street and Pearl Street, on the left when traveling east on State Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 State Street, Natchez MS 39120, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. In Gratitude (within shouting distance of this marker); United States Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Intersection of Washington and South Pearl streets (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bud Scott (about 500 feet away); Site of Bank of Mississippi
The First Presbyterian Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., July 2004
2. The First Presbyterian Church and Marker
Sanctuary entrance opens to Pearl Street.
(about 500 feet away); Temple B'Nai Israel (about 500 feet away); William Johnson House (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named The William Johnson House (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Natchez.
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USChurches & Religion
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 16, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,174 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 16, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement