Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Emmitsburg in Frederick County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Cornerstone of the Old Church on the Hill

 
 
Cornerstone of the Old Church on the Hill Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, May 11, 2009
1. Cornerstone of the Old Church on the Hill Marker
Inscription. Laid by Father John DuBois in 1807.
 
Location. 39° 40.887′ N, 77° 21.373′ W. Marker is in Emmitsburg, Maryland, in Frederick County. Marker is on Grotto Road 0.4 miles north of St. Anthony Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is to the left of the entrance to the parking lot for the National Shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes, also known as Grotto of Lourdes. Marker is in this post office area: Emmitsburg MD 21727, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pangborn Memorial Campanile ( a few steps from this marker); Site of Father Dubois House ( within shouting distance of this marker); The John Hughes Cabin ( within shouting distance of this marker); William Elder, Sr. ( within shouting distance of this marker); Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton ( within shouting distance of this marker); Amleto Cardinal Cicognani ( within shouting distance of this marker); National Shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes ( about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Corpus Christi Chapel ( about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Emmitsburg.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Cornerstone of the Old Church on the Hill Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, May 11, 2009
2. Cornerstone of the Old Church on the Hill Marker
Cornerstone image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, May 11, 2009
3. Cornerstone
The carving on the stone reads: "C. Stone of St. Mary's Church Laid by the Rev. John Dubois, 1807."
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 16, 2009, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 829 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 16, 2009, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement