Whitehouse Station in Hunterdon County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
White House Station
—Bradford L. Gilbert, Architect —
Inscription. The Somerville & Easton Railroad first reached the rural community of White House in 1848 and a modest depot was constructed to shelter travelers as they waited for the stagecoach. By 1860, a small community, aptly named White House Station, had developed around the depot. In the 1880s, farming had become an important industry in Hunterdon County and, to speed the shipment of produce to the New York market, a branch line, the Rockaway Valley Railroad, was constructed in 1888. Known affectionately as the Rockabye Baby because of its bumpy ride, the line extended thirteen miles from White House Station to Morristown. In 1849, the S & E. was renamed the Central Railroad of New Jersey and as freight and passenger traffic increased at White House Station, now a junction stop, the C.N.J., also enjoying a period of prosperity, commissioned noted architect Bradford L. Gilbert to design a new station. Gilbert chose a popular Victorian style, Richardsonian Romanesque, which is characterized by a heavy, rough-cut stone exterior, broad roof planes, deeply recessed arched window and door openings and the use of a variety of shapes and forms, such as the polygonal porch on the front of the building. Through citizen initiative and the NJ TRANSIT Station Leasing Program, the station was restored to its original grandeur. On December 7, 1981, after seven
By Alan Edelson, May 19, 2009
1. White House Station Marker
months of dedicated community effort, White House Station opened its doors as Readington Township's first public library. White House Station was listed on both the State and National Registers of Historic Places in 1984,
By Alan Edelson, May 19, 2009
2. White House Station
Erected by NJ Transit.
Location. 40° 36.921′ N, 74° 46.228′ W. Marker is in Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, in Hunterdon County. Marker can be reached from Main Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is on the north side of the station building. Marker is in this post office area: Whitehouse Station NJ 08889, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rockaway Valley Railroad 1888 (within shouting distance of this marker); "From Here They Served" (approx. half a mile away); Readington Township Veterans Monument (approx. 0.7 miles away); Leake - Stillwell Mills (approx. one mile away); Blue Star Highway (approx. 1.6 miles away); Site of Colonel John Mehelm House (approx. 1.7 miles away); Whitehouse Veterans Monument (approx. 2.2 miles away); Potterstown (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Whitehouse Station.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 19, 2009, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. This page has been viewed 869 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 19, 2009, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.