Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fork in Baltimore County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Fork United Methodist Church

 
 
Fork United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, July 29, 2007
1. Fork United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. Oldest Methodist Congregation in Maryland worshipping in its original location. Organized as Fork Meeting by Robert Strawbridge. Land near “The Forks of the Gunpowder” given in 1771 by James Baker, who converted to Methodism under the preaching of Rev. John King. Francis Asbury preached here June 9, 1776.
 
Erected by Maryland Historical Trust & Maryland State Highway Administration.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher marker series.
 
Location. 39° 28.369′ N, 76° 26.859′ W. Marker is in Fork, Maryland, in Baltimore County. Marker is at the intersection of Fork Road and Brinton Road, on the left when traveling west on Fork Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fork MD 21051, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ishmael Dayís House (approx. 1.3 miles away); St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church (approx. 1.9 miles away); Gunpowder Manor (approx. 1.9 miles away); Saint Johnís Parish (approx. 2.2 miles away); The Sweathouse Road
Fork UM Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, July 29, 2007
2. Fork UM Cemetery
(approx. 2.8 miles away); Jerusalem Mills (approx. 3.1 miles away); Gunpowder Falls State Park (approx. 3.1 miles away); Harry Dorsey Gough (approx. 3.1 miles away).
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial EraNotable Persons
 
Fork UM Church image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, July 29, 2007
3. Fork UM Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 29, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,759 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 29, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement