Calhoun in Gordon County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
He was the founder and first President of the Central Railroad and Banking Company, now the Central of Georgia System.
Gordon county was created by act of the Georgia Legislature Feb. 13, 1850. Area 375 square miles. 1950 population 18,957.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 064-14.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 30.166′ N, 84° 57.061′ W. Marker is in Calhoun, Georgia, in Gordon County. Marker is on North Court Street just east of North Wall Street (Georgia Route 41), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker adjoins the Gordon County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Calhoun GA 30701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Calhoun, Ga, May 18, 1864. (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Calhoun Depot (about 700 feet away); Roland Hayes Johnston's Rear Guard Stops McPherson (approx. 0.9 miles away); Richard Peters Plantation (approx. 2 miles away); Calhoun War Memorial (approx. 2.1 miles away); Sequoyah (approx. 2.1 miles away); Battle of Lay's Ferry (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Calhoun.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Notable Persons • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 24, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 943 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on May 24, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on September 25, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. 3, 4. submitted on May 24, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.