White Sulphur Springs in Greenbrier County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Old White
1858 - 1922
Whose gracious hospitality, beautiful surroundings and healing waters gained national renown and made it the object of many a pilgrimage.
Here gathered from the north and south great generals, famous statesmen and philanthropists, lovely ladies and reigning bells "who left upon the silent shore of memory images and precious thoughts that shall not die, and cannot be destroyed".
Erected 1940 by The Greenbrier.
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 37° 47.223′ N, 80° 18.562′ W. Marker is in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia, in Greenbrier County. Marker can be reached from U.S. 60. Touch for map. Marker is on the grounds of The Greenbrier. Marker is in this post office area: White Sulphur Springs WV 24986, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Greenbrier Clinic and Project Greek Island (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); President's Cottage (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Springhouse The Springhouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tennis and the Outdoor Swimming Pool (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kate's Mountain (approx. ¼ mile away); White Sulphur (approx. ¼ mile away); Dry Creek Battle (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in White Sulphur Springs.
Also see . . . The Greenbrier website. (Submitted on May 25, 2009, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 25, 2009, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,097 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 25, 2009, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 7, 8. submitted on July 15, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.