Near Ringgold in Catoosa County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
May 7, 1864. Brig. Gen. Judson Kilpatrick’s (3d) Div., Elliott’s Cav. Corps (Army of the Cumberland) [US], moving from Ringgold, crossed Taylor’s Ridge at Nickajack Gap, followed by Williams’ (1st) Div., 20th Corps.
The 2d & 3d Divs. crossed the ridge 4.5 mi. S. at Gordon Springs Gap, the same day. Kilpatrick’s Cav. masked the advance of the 20th A.C. into E. Chickamauga Valley, enroute to Mill Cr. Gap & Dug Gap, in Rocky Face Ridge -- outposts of the Confederate forces at Dalton commanded by Gen. Joseph E. Johnston.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 023-2.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 48.299′ N, 85° 8.929′ W. Marker is near Ringgold, Georgia, in Catoosa County. Marker is at the intersection of Alabama Highway (Georgia Route 151) and East Nickajack Road, on the left when traveling south on Alabama Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ringgold GA 30736, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Leet's Spring and Tanyard (approx. 3.3 miles away); Dr. Anderson’s House (approx. 3.9 miles away); "Callaway Place" - 1814. (approx. 4.7 miles away); Twentieth Corps in Dogwood Valley (approx. 4.7 miles away); Peavine Church (approx. 5 miles away); Rock Springs Church (approx. 5 miles away); Old Tavern Road (approx. 5.4 miles away); Geary's Division to Dug Gap (approx. 6.3 miles away).
Categories. • Natural Features • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 26, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,527 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 26, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.