Carlisle in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Walking Tour Stop 5
An earlier prison was erected at this location in 1754, and even though it was deemed unfit for human incarceration as early as the 1770's, it remained in use for another 80 years. Escapes were a common occurrence and for years the people of Carlisle pleaded for a new and stronger jail. In 1854, this prison was built, but determined inmates still managed to regularly break out. Some inmates chipped the plaster and mortar from the walls, removed the stones and crawled through the holes. Then lowering themselves from the cell block to the ground with blankets, they scaled the outer wall and fled. Others escaped by filing through the iron bars of their cells, and one prisoner even set fire to his flooring planks hoping to escape through the smoke screen. He failed.
The brownstone used in the construction of the 1854 prison was quarried in York County, Pennsylvania, and stones from the first prison were most likely used to make the prison yard walls. While the prison yard
In 1984, a larger modern facility was built on Claremont Road, and the “old” prison has been readapted for county use.
Erected by Old Carlisle, Inc.
Location. 40° 12.084′ N, 77° 11.212′ W. Marker is in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, in Cumberland County. Marker is at the intersection of High Street (Pennsylvania Route 74) and Bedford Street, on the left when traveling east on High Street. Touch for map. Marker is at northwest corner of intersection. Marker is in this post office area: Carlisle PA 17013, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Carlisle Jail (a few steps from this marker); Duncan-Stiles House (within shouting distance of this marker); Gen. John Armstrong (within shouting distance of this marker); Gen. William Irvine (within shouting distance of this marker); World War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Frederick Douglass in Carlisle (within shouting distance John Bannister Gibson (within shouting distance of this marker); Episcopal Square (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carlisle.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Government •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 31, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,176 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on May 31, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 2. submitted on September 5, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 3, 4. submitted on May 31, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.