Aiken in Aiken County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
St. Thaddeus Church
This Episcopal Church (cornerstone laid Sept. 5, 1842) was consecrated Aug. 9, 1843. It is the city’s oldest church structure, having retained its Greek revival style through subsequent remodeling. Church purchased bell in 1853, Cornish Memorial Chapel completed in 1888, and Mead Hall School opened 1955. William Gregg (1800–1867), an important figure in the textile industry in SC, was one of the church founders.
Buried in the churchyard are John H. Cornish, rector of this church 1846–1869; George W. Croft (1846–1904), SC Senator and US Congressman; William P. Finley, Ordinance of Secession signer; James M. Legaré (1823–1859), poet, artist, inventor who held several US patents; Henry W. Ravenel (1814–1887), SC botanist whose name is perpetuated in many plants; and John F. Schmidt, a church warden in 1843.
Erected 1992 by The Congregation. (Marker Number 2–12.)
Location. 33° 33.689′ N, 81° 43.463′ W. Marker is in Aiken, South Carolina, in Aiken County. Marker is at the intersection of Pendleton Street SW (U.S. 1) and Hayne Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Pendleton Street SW. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 125 Pendleton St SW, Aiken SC 29801, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. 1953 Gas Explosion (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Aiken (about 600 feet away); The S.C. Railroad (about 700 feet away); Woodmen Of The World (about 700 feet away); South Carolina Canal & Rail Road Company (about 700 feet away); Author Jeff Scott (approx. 0.2 miles away); H. Odell Weeks (approx. 0.2 miles away); Highland Park Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Original Survey of Aiken (approx. 0.2 miles away); William Aiken, Sr. (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Aiken.
Regarding St. Thaddeus Church. National Register of Historic Places :
St. Thaddeus Episcopal Church (added 1984 - Building - #84000518) •
♦Pendleton and Richland Sts., Aiken
♦ Historic Significance: Event
♦Area of Significance: Religion, Community Planning And Development ♦Period of Significance: 1825-1849, 1850-1874, 1925-1949
♦Historic Function: Religion
♦Historic Sub-function: Religious Structure ♦Current Function: Religion
♦Current Sub-function: Religious Structure
Also see . . .
1. St. Thaddeus Episcopal Church. Official web site of St. Thaddeus Episcopal Church. (Submitted on August 13, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
2. St. Thaddeus Episcopal Church. Although St. Thaddeus Episcopal Church has been important in the history of the town of Aiken since its construction ca. 1842, it is also important for its association with the Aiken Winter Colony. (Submitted on September 17, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. St. Thaddeus Episcopal Church
St. Thaddeus Episcopal Church, located at the corner of Pendleton and Richland Streets in Aiken, was constructed ca. 1842. In 1926 the church was extensively remodeled according to the design of Albert Simons of Charleston. Originally a simple frame, weatherboarded building, St. Thaddeus is now stuccoed and had Greek Revival proportions. The three-bay facade features a pedimented Doric portico which shelters the central, double door entrance. The entrance features a transom and shelf architecture and is flanked by secondary entrances with transoms and similar architraves. the church has a gable roof surmounted by a one-stage, indent steeple with spire and cross. the nominated property includes the church cemetery.
Although St. Thaddeus has been important in the history of the town of Aiken since its construction ca. 1842, it is also important
— Submitted January 6, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Notable Persons • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 13, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,894 times since then and 52 times this year. Last updated on June 4, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 13, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.