Fort Meade in Anne Arundel County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Fort George G. Meade
—United States Army —
By late 1940 an Emergency Construction Program was underway at Fort Meade. Upon being federalized in February 1941, the 29th Infantry Division was assigned to one of Fort Meade's hastily built cantonment areas. Here the division reached its full combat strength and completed its initial infantry training. Atop this hill was located the large building which served as the division's headquarters.
After overseas deployment, the 29th assaulted the Normandy Beachhead on June 6, 1944, and participate in the Northern France, Rhineland and Central European campaigns.
June 1942 saw the arrival at Ft Meade of the 76th Infantry Division. Division headquarters was again located in the building atop this hill. After deploying, the 76th participated in the Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, and Central European campaigns. The building was then occupied by the headquarters staff of the Army Ground Forces Replacement Depot No. 1. This organization shipped over one and one-half million soldiers overseas. In 1945 it converted to a separation center and processed over 400,000 soldiers back to civilian life.
This plaque erected in 1996 by the
Erected 1996 by Fort Meade Museum.
Location. 39° 6.691′ N, 76° 43.783′ W. Marker is in Fort Meade, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Marker is at the intersection of Ernie Pyle Street and Davidson Hill, on the right when traveling south on Ernie Pyle Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort George G Meade MD 20755, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. E. Russell Allen (within shouting distance of this marker); White Oak (approx. 0.9 miles away); Major General George G. Meade (approx. 0.9 miles away); 18th Century French Mortar (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Franklin Cantonment (approx. 0.9 miles away); Post Hospital (approx. one mile away); Eisenhower's Quarters (approx. 1.1 miles away); 85th Medical Battalion Avenue (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Meade.
Categories. • 20th Century • Forts, Castles • Military • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 4, 2009, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 778 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 15, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. 2, 3. submitted on June 4, 2009, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. 4. submitted on October 15, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama.